Recommended Improvements to Employment Law Disputes
The Law Commission recently published its recommendations to improve how employment law disputes are decided.
The recommendations include the following key points:
- Increasing the powers of employment tribunals so that they can decide claims of breach of contract brought by employees and workers while they are still employed.
- Increasing the time limit for bringing all types of employment tribunal claims to six months.
- Giving employment tribunals the power to give damages in breach of contract claims of up to £100,000.
- Allowing tribunals to hear complaints by employees that they are working hours in excess of the maximum working time limits
- Improvements to the procedures for enforcing employment tribunals’ awards to ensure employees receive the compensation.
- Employment judges with experience of hearing discrimination claims to be deployed to sit in the county court to hear discrimination cases.
These recommendations, if implemented, would enhance the protections that employees and workers receive from the employment tribunals against discriminatory and unlawful practices.
For further information about any employment matters, please contact Ram Saroop on 01274 735511 or email Ram@rdcsolicitors.co.uk